Maarten Steinbuch (born 1960 in Zeist, NL) is a high-tech systems scientist, serial tech entrepreneur, supervisory board member and keynote speaker.
He holds the chair of Systems & Control at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), where he is Distinguished University Professor. He is Scientific Director of TU/e High Tech Systems Centre and of Eindhoven Engine. His research spans from automotive engineering (with a focus on connected cars and clean vehicles) to mechatronics, motion control, and fusion plasma control. He is most known for his work in the field of advanced motion control, as well as in robotics for high precision surgery. Steinbuch is a prolific blogger and a key opinion leader on the influence of new technologies on society. He is well known as an advocate of electric vehicles.
Maarten Steinbuch received the M.Sc. degree and Ph.D. Degree from Delft University of Technology, in 1984 and 1989 resp. From 1987-1998 he was with Philips Research Labs., Eindhoven as a Member of the Scientific Staff. From 1998-1999 he was manager of the Dynamics and Control group at Philips Center for Manufacturing Technology.
Since 1999 he is full professor Systems and Control and chair of the Control Systems Technology group of the Mechanical Engineering Department of Eindhoven University of Technology. He was Editor-in-Chief of IFAC Mechatronics (2009-2015), and is supervisory board member of SIOUX Group BV, and of the topsector HTSM, advisory board member of Nobleo Technology BV, and of Lumo Labs, (past) cofounder of MI-Partners BV, cofounder of Mechatronics Academy BV, Preceyes BV, MicroSure BV, ZEnMO BV and founder of Steinbuch in Motion BV and of Eindhoven Medical Robotics BV. He is faculty of SingularityU Benelux. Since 2014 he is also Scientific Director of the TU/e High Tech Systems Center. Since 2018 he is CTO of the Eindhoven Engine. In 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2015 he obtained the ‘Best-Teacher’ award of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, TU/e. In 2008 as well as in 2014 his research group obtained the QANU excellence rating . In 2013 he was appointed Distinguished University Professor at TU/e. In 2015 Maarten received the KIVI Academic Society Award. In 2016 he was awarded as Simon Stevin Meester 2016, the highest Dutch award for Scientific Technological research. His research interests are modeling, design and control of motion systems, robotics, automotive powertrains and systems and of fusion plasmas. Maarten Steinbuch has numerous ISI (web of science) highly-cited papers, more than 344 publications in ISI web of science and has over 4290 citations (H-index 35). In Google Scholar he has more than 12873 citations and an H-index of 54. He is an IEEE Fellow.
List of responsibilities:
- past editor-in-chief of IFAC Mechatronics
- scientific director of the TU/e High Tech Systems Center
- scientific director of Eindhoven Engine
- member of the board of AutomotiveNL
- member of the advisory board of Dutch Society of Precision Eng
- member of the board of NWO/NRPO-SIA
- member of the Raad van Commissarissen (RvC) of Sioux Group BV
- member of the advisory board of Nobleo Technology B.V.
- member of the advisory board of Lumo Labs
- co-founder of MI-Partners B.V.
- co-founder and trainer of Mechatronics Academy B.V.
- founder and CEO of Steinbuch in Motion B.V.
- co-founder of Preceyes B.V.
- co-founder of Microsure B.V.
- founder of Eindhoven Medical Robotics B.V.
- co-founder of ZEnMO
- Faculty member of the SingularityU Benelux
- see also here
- over Elektrisch vervoer 26-06-2011 bij Knevel en van den Brink
- interview in Mechatronica Magazine
- Video documentaire FLL/Techniekpromotie voor Leraar24
- RTL4 Nieuws, 25-04-2012 RoboCup Dutch Open (vanaf 18:20)
- NOS op 3 25-04-2012 RoboCup Dutch Open (vanaf 5:35)
- SBS 6 Peter R de Vries 29-04-2012 Stenengooiers (vanaf 13:45)
- RTL4 Nieuws 17-05-2012 EcoChallenge
- BBC World 26/27-05-2012 BBC Horizons Robotics
- EditieNL 07-06-2012 “Robots nemen ons leven over“
- Volkskrant Wetenschapsbijlage Zaterdag 2 juni 2012
- De toekomst van de Europese auto-industrie – Radio 1 http://shar.es/cZEWp
- Interview door Vincent Evers op LeafPlan
- Voordracht op Eindsymposium STT SuperIntelligent Vervoer, 5 feb 2013
- “Caring Cars and Curing Robots“, TEDxBrainport talk, june 2013
- interview Hoe?Zo! radio 7 juni, vanaf 50:55 over elektrisch rijden en CO2
- Item van Radio 1 over de Fyra, bij het Spoorwegmuseum
- BBCNews about Robocup2013
- KinderCollege Robots @RoboCup2013
- “From windmills to robots...” Robotics Business Review
- Plenary talk at the 2013 ACC “Advanced Motion Control for High Tech systems“
- Is de Tesla Model S P85+ gaaf?
- Interview op Jij Leeft blogpost
- Talk ‘Car Challenges‘ at E Mobility Conference Oct 2013
- Altijd Wat over Robotica 9 sept 2014
- Nieuwsuur over Elektrisch Rijden 11 sept 2014
- Promo Parktheater Eindhoven 50 jaar
- Now Future Talkshow, VPRO, Dutch Design Week, 24 oktober 2014
- Beleggen Internationaal bij RTL7
- Spotlight bij Studio040, interview
- Interview “Why entrepreneurial thinking is essential for research institutes.” by Jonathan Marks, published on StartUpDelta
- Interview on Robotics for Care, by Actiz
- Interview RTLNieuws 20 sept 2015 nav VW gate
- Interview EenVandaag 28 sept 2015 nav VW gate
- Interview TerZake 28 sept 2015 nav VW gate en Tesla Congres
- NPO2 Dag van de Duurzaamheid 9 oktober 2015
- DWDD over de autopilot van Tesla 23 oktober 2015
- Tesla World 2015 Maarten Steinbuch The Future of Automobility
- NPO2 Mijlpalen voor Parijs 20 november
- Nieuwsuur 5 december over de VW gate
- Interview in Intermedair december 2015
- 2-hour interview on NPO Radio1 in the new show DagWacht of Bart Hettema
- Van Liempt Live bij RTL Z, nav het 50ste Fastned laadstation,
- NOS Journaal over TNO rapport Diesels
- EenVandaag (NPO1) (27-01-2016) over TNO rapport Diesels
- RTL Nieuws met Buurtfacts (18-02-2016)
- DWDD over de nieuwe operatierobot van MicroSure BV, 25 februari 2016
- Omroep Brabant, Booming Brabant, 10 maart 2016
- Interview (in Dutch) in the Eindhovens Dagblad, 17 maart 2016
- Robots op de weg en bij je thuis, BNR digitaal, 23 maart 2016
- Over de wachtrijen bij Tesla Model 3 EenVandaag 31 maart 2016
- Talk at OurFutureHealth may, 26 2016
- QuiznightXL 2016
- TV interview op 7Ditches juli 2016
- TV interview met Fast Moving Targets sept 2016
- Omroep Brabant Kraak 20 november 2016
- Menswaardigheid als verplicht vak, in: de Ingenieur, 10 okt 2016
- PodCast De Technoloog BNR radio januari 2017
- Universiteit van NL: Medische Mirakels april 2017, with subtitles
- Over medische robots bij Booming Brabant 4 mei 2017, Omroep Brabant
- over elektrisch rijden bij Nieuwsuur, 4 mei 2017
- recording German Singularity Summit 2017, Berlin, on AI
- Een(d)Vandaag 13 januari 2018
- Booming Brabant bij Omroep Brabant 8 maart 2018
- Cobbenhagen Summit 5 maart 2018
- Studio040 Juni 2020
Photo Maarten: Bart Van Overbeeke Fotografie